My Photo
Name:
Location: Aloha, Oregon, United States

Monday, June 04, 2007


I'm sitting here wondering how it is we continue to let ourselves be deceived and allow footholds for sin in our life. How is it that we think that it only affects ourselves, as if we are an island in this world. We play with sin, thinking it is not a big deal, or we are an exception to the rule. As if any experience or feeling we have is original, there is nothing new under the sun. This is the reality that Ethnos Church is facing now. We are scrambling to learn what it is to restore people who are repentant of sins that have hurt all of us.

This situation made me realize how easily we deceive ourselves and allow ourselves to be deceived by the enemy of our souls. But thankfully God is so gracious to us. Jesus is perfect, and yet when the woman caught in sin was brought before Him to be stoned He mercifully said "he who is without sin among you, let him be the first to throw a stone at her." and everyone had to leave. Then He asked her "Woman, where are they? Did no one condemn you?" her reply "No one Lord" then beautifully He responds "I do not condemn you, either. Go. From now on sin no more.". Jesus as the only perfect one there had every right to condemn her, but His love and mercy are greater. He forgave much, and I like to think that she loved Him for it.

This story is a helpful reminder to me at this time. It's easy to judge and categorize sin, but I am nothing close to perfect. And if the lover of our souls does not condemn, I will choose not to either. I think it will be something I will have to remind myself every time my human nature pops up, but I think it is worth it to learn more about the heart of God. I don't know what it looks like to have a church restore brothers and sisters who stumble, but my prayer is that Ethnos will look to God for the answer and show the world that is watching that through Christ restoration is possible. His cross is achingly beautiful, the price has been paid. Thank you Jesus!

2 Comments:

Blogger Ashby said...

Natalie, you are a beautiful writer, and I always look forward to hearing what you have to say about the church.

12:25 AM  
Blogger Angie said...

I will have to second Ashby. Thank you for what you said Sunday. It quickly put my thoughts into check. Love you.

7:15 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home